Maynooth University is Ireland’s leading liberal arts university, with a student body of 8,500 and a productive academic staff dedicated to research-based teaching. The university was ranked #67 in the Times Higher Education (THE) rankings of the world’s 100 best universities less than 50 years old. The Department of English is one of the largest and most successful departments in the Faculty of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy and has an outstanding international reputation for teaching and research. It is currently staffed by three professors, ten lecturers, an executive assistant, a Learning Resource Officer, and a number of part-time tutors. The department offers a BA in English, MA degrees in Irish Literature and Culture, Postcolonial and World Literatures, and Gender and Sexuality in Writing and Culture, and a structured PhD programme.
The University has entered an exciting and challenging phase of its development, as it confirms its reputation as Ireland’s premier university for the liberal arts and sciences. The Department of English is a key academic player in the realisation of the University’s core mission. The University is now seeking to recruit a Professor and Head of English.
A Professor of the University is expected to:
- Be an international leader in research and scholarship and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field
- Provide leadership in research and scholarship within the Department, Faculty and University
- Promote excellence in teaching and learning, and encourage innovation in teaching and learning amongst staff
- Contribute to the teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students, including lecturing, consultations with individual students, and supervision of research students
- Contribute to the development of the curriculum and academic programmes within the discipline and more generally
- Assume responsibilities for management and administrative tasks associated with the Department, Faculty and University
- Be an active member of the University and contribute to the work of the University in outreach, collaboration, internationalisation, engagement and policy development.
Further details about the position and the university may be found on the Maynooth University website at http://humanresources.nuim.ie/vacancies.shtml