A Series of talks and explorations on Shakespeare in Ballyfermot, Cabra and Rathmines libraries during October and November.
Dublin City Public Libraries are delighted to welcome The Then This Theatre Company as they host series of information and exploratory talks in the libraries. The company consists of directors Aoife Spillane Hinks, Maeve Fitzgerald and Tanya Dean and each will take a lead on each topic – Shakespeare on Love, Acting Shakespeare and Shakespeare and Ireland. The talks are free but booking is highly recommended. Details about the events, the locations, dates and times are as follows –
Shakespeare on Love
Aoife Spillane-Hinks explores how love can delight, humiliate, enlighten and exalt us in the work of William Shakespeare. With the help of extracts from Measure for Measure, explore how Shakespeare brings his characters to life, and what happens when they fall in love. It is a celebration of Shakespeare’s greatest achievement – showing us, even today, what it means to be human. Participants will learn how to unlock the Bard’s delicious rhythms and language in this bite-sized introduction.
- Cabra Library – Thursday 22nd October at 6.30pm
- Rathmines Library – Wednesday 18th November at 6.30pm
- Ballyfermot Library – Thursday 19th November at 6.30pm
Maeve Fitzgerald will give an introduction on the different methods actors use to approach a Shakespearian role and discuss some of the challenges and opportunities that the language presents. In this day and age of textspeak and emojis how can we tap into the seemingly complex verse and prose of the bard, discover its accessibility and use it to build a character?
- Cabra Library – Thursday 05th November at 6.30pm
- Ballyfermot Library – Thursday 12th November at 6.30pm
- Rathmines Library – Wednesday 25th November at 6.30pm
Shakespeare and Ireland
Tanya Dean leads this lecture about the relationship between the bard and Ireland; how Ireland and the Irish are depicted in his works, a select history of key productions of Shakespeare in Irish theatre history, and why we return again and again to his works on the stage and in Irish education.
- Cabra Library – Thursday 15th October at 6.30pm
- Rathmines Library – Wednesday 11th November at 6.30pm
- Ballyfermot Library – Thursday 26th November at 6.30pm